Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Do you see what you believe?

In a recent leadership class I was watching a video about Dewitt Jones, a National Geographic photographer, and his vision for the world. The video was called "Celebrate What is Right About the World." He makes the point that he grew up with he scientific thinking that "he needed to see it to believe it." As a photographer he learned that he needed to believe it before he could see it. Our minds are wired to notice only things that we believe have the potential to exist.

Today on my commute to work I was thinking that more people are getting to work by biking, walking, or riding the bus. When I started paying attention to this belief, I started to notice people not in their cars. On my short trip from Sunrise Rotary at the hospital, to my work on Western Ave I saw three people riding their bikes, one person walking, one person riding a motorcycle, and the Otter Express Bus was going east on Lincoln Ave.

Keep looking for change, because if you believe it, you will see it.

No comments: