Thursday, August 7, 2008

Safety First

Coasting down a hill, checking frantically for cars at every intersection, suddenly the opening scene from "Hill Street Blues" flashes in my brain. The rough roll call Sargent dismisses the beat officers with a motherly warning, "Be safe out there."

Am I being safe out there on the bike routes and streets? I signal my turns, and obey the rules of the road. My helmet is old, but always secured before I leave. But What is the best way to watch for cars?
Chris the clerk at The Rental Store in Fergus Falls told me that there are several mirrors that bikers use to watch for traffic. He showed me helmet mirrors, handlebar mirrors that stickup and a cool looking mirror that attaches to the end of the handle bar. I didn't know there were so many options. On Chris' recommendation the cool looking mirror is now helping me be safe out there.



What safety tips could you offer? Add tips to the comment link.

No comments: