Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Help From a Friend




Running errands and carrying packages on my bike has always been a challenge. Small flat packages fit on my rear wheel rack, but how do you haul a gallon of milk?

It was a nice sunny day when I decided to get a few things from SunMart. The list was short and my WCI blue reusable bags tied to my bike begged for a real test. Clothes pins were the clips I used to keep the bags from flapping in the wind. They were not a pretty site, but I hoped they would be functional. I was wrong.

I was vainly stuffing two half gallons of milk, some Cilantro, two dozen hot dog buns and two cans of sauerkraut into the blue bags, when my friend Karen walked up. After a few words about bikes, exercise, this blog, and saving the world, she took pity on me and my floppy blue bags. She suggested panniers, to which I responded that I was trying use these bags and not buy new things. " But I have a set of panniers that I don't use anymore" she said.

"Really! I exclaimed, "Could I borrow them until you want them back?" The deal was struck.

Today I am the proud borrower of used panniers that don't flop in the wind and look very professional. Thanks for the help Karen.

No comments: